This course earns 30 CEU points for trainers qualified as CPDT-KA
steve and vicki austin’s dog training and behaviour certificate (DTBC)
60 hours practical sessions
90 hours home-study including webinars
20 hours quizzes and assessments
Intensive learning conducted over eight months
Dog Training and Behaviour certificate (DTBC)
This course is suitable for amateurs or professionals, as either: an introduction to dog training; or to expand the knowledge and skills of those already training or handling dogs. As well as people initiating an interest or career in dog training, past students have included Police and military officers, psychologists, registered nurses, engineers, chartered accountant, hospitality industry workers, zoo keepers/trainers, obedience club instructors, professional dog trainers, dog groomers, Vet Nurses, dog walkers, puppy raisers, dog breeders, rescue group foster carers, animal agent for the media, etc.
Techniques and strategies are supported by the science of learning and behaviour. The training philosophy has a strong leaning towards reward based techniques, with an exploration of the detrimental side-effects of punishment based techniques. Class discussions also question if there is ever an appropriate situation for the use of positive punishment. And if so, what are the principles for applying effective punishment?
There will be two blocks of practical sessions for five days each, in Sydney at Calabash Kennels and Cattery in Arcadia.
- Participants must attend all practical training sessions, in their entirety; complete all course materials including quizzes; successfully complete the written assessment and the practical assessments; and complete required reading, to gain certification. Practical sessions must be attended on the scheduled dates and times.
- Participants may bring their own dogs to practical training sessions when suitable.
- While it is preferred, it is not necessary to own a dog for this course. Participants will need to source additional dogs local to them to practice various techniques. Possible sources of dogs could include: family, friends, neighbours, work acquaintances, welfare organisations, posting a “Wanted” advertisement, local trading bulletin board, Facebook, etc. Participants own dogs may not be appropriate for all course assessments.
- Access to a device with internet connection and Microsoft Word is required.
- Participants will require a minimum of moderate computer and literacy skills.
- On successful completion, participants will be awarded a certificate from Steve and Vicki Austin in Dog Training and Behaviour. This course is a privately-operated programme – we are not an RTO (registered training organisation)
Steve and Vicki Austin’s
Dog Training and Behaviour Certificate
Course fee: $3630 (includes GST)
Practical sessions will be conducted in Sydney at Calabash Kennels and Cattery at Arcadia.
Topics covered in the course will include:
- Animal Welfare
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Canine behaviour and body language
- Correct use and fitting of equipment
- Training plans and record keeping
- Steve’s Motivating Miracles presentation
- Class instructing
- Science of Learning
- Luring Technique
- Preventing problem behaviour
- Addressing problem behaviour
- Successive approximation (shaping behaviour)
- Dog breeds and groups
- Free shaping (clicker)
- Dog aggression
- Scent detection
- Canines for Conservation
- Canine critical or sensitive phases
- The importance of play
Next available DTBC class:
DTBC 11 (Dog Training and Behaviour Certificate – Class 11) commences on: Thursday 6th January 2022
Includes 10 x Practical Days at Calabash Boarding Kennels Arcadia NSW (Sydney) on:
Monday to Friday 2nd – 6th May 2022
Monday to Friday 23rd – 27th May 2022
Course Completion Date: 19th September 2022
To enrol in this class, please download the PDF document above (includes full details, enrolment form & T&Cs)