DOG TRAINING AND
This course is suitable for amateurs/hobbyists or professionals as either an introduction to dog training or to expand the knowledge and skills of those already training or handling dogs.ENROL NOW
Dog Training and Behaviour Certificate (DTBC)
Your course instructors are Steve and Vicki Austin. You will be mentored by these two highly experienced and successful trainers, and no others. Classes are limited to ten participants.
The DTBC serves as a well-rounded education for those wishing to enter the dog training industry and for existing dog trainers wanting a refresher or update. Also suitable for anyone with an interest or hobby in dog training and behaviour.
As well as people initiating an interest or career in dog training, past students have included Vet Nurses, Police and military officers, psychologists, registered nurses, engineers, chartered accountant, zoo keepers/trainers, obedience club instructors, professional dog trainers, dog groomers, dog walkers, puppy raisers, dog breeders, animal agent for the media, etc.
Techniques and strategies are supported by the science of learning and behaviour. The training philosophy has a strong leaning towards reward based techniques, with an exploration of the detrimental side-effects of punishment based techniques. Class discussions also question if there is ever an appropriate situation for the use of positive punishment. And if so, what are the principles for applying effective punishment?
This course earns 30 CEU points for
trainers qualified as CPDT-KA
The course is intensive over eight months. It is recommended that participants place other activities on hold where possible for the duration of the course.
There will be two blocks of practical sessions for five days each. Dates will be set for sessions in Sydney. If there is sufficient interest, consideration will be given to conducting practical sessions in other areas. This would incur an additional fee to those participants to cover the costs of travel and accommodation.
60 hours of practical sessions
90 hours of home-study including webinars
20 hours of quizzes and assessments
Intensive learning conducted over eight months
There are two blocks of practical training days of five days each, in Sydney at Calabash Kennels and Cattery in Arcadia.
- Participants must attend all practical training sessions, in their entirety; complete all course materials including quizzes; successfully complete the written assessment and the practical assessments; and complete required reading, to gain certification. Practical sessions must be attended on the scheduled dates and times.
- Participants may bring their own dogs to practical training sessions when suitable.
- While it is preferred, it is not necessary to own a dog for this course. Participants will need to source additional dogs local to them to practice various techniques. Possible sources of dogs could include: family, friends, neighbours, work acquaintances, welfare organisations, posting a “Wanted” advertisement, local trading bulletin board, Facebook, etc. Participants own dogs may not be appropriate for all course assessments.
- Access to a device with internet connection and Microsoft Word is required.
- Participants will require a minimum of moderate computer and literacy skills.
- On successful completion, participants will be awarded a certificate from Steve and Vicki Austin in Dog Training and Behaviour. This course is a privately-operated programme – we are not an RTO (registered training organisation)
Topics Covered In The Course Will Include:
- Science of Learning
- Luring Technique
- Preventing problem behaviour
- Addressing problem behaviour
- Successive approximation (shaping behaviour)
- Dog breeds and groups
- Animal Welfare
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Canine behaviour and body language
- Correct use and fitting of equipment
- Training plans and record keeping
- Steve’s Motivating Miracles presentation
- Class instructing
- Free shaping (clicker)
- Dog aggression
- Scent detection
- Canines for Conservation
- Canine critical or sensitive phases
- The importance of play
Next Available DTBC Class:
CLASS DTBC 13
DTBC 13 (Dog Training and Behaviour Certificate – Class 13) commences on:
24th October 2022
Includes 10 x Practical Days at Calabash Boarding Kennels Arcadia NSW (Sydney) on:
Monday to Friday 13th -17th February 2023
Monday to Friday 27th February - 3rd March 2023
Science of Learning (VA) 5:00 pm (AEDT) Sunday 29 January 2023
Motivating Miracles and Scent Detection (SA) 5:00 pm (AEDT) 5 February 2023
Course Completion Date:
24th June 2023